The Knoxville Public Library was originally built in 1912, thanks to a $10,000 donation from Mr. Andrew Carnegie. The City of Knoxville donated the land and promised to fund it annually to keep staff, materials, and operations going. In 1988, a capital campaign was initiated to obtain funds to expand the building, which had outgrown the needs of the community. Collection sizes had grown in number and format, along with an expansion of services. By 1990, the library doubled in size and American Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant.
On July 21, 2012, we celebrated our 100th birthday! We are currently fundraising for a renovation and addition project. The addition will be one-level to the west of the current building. In September 2012, we achieved Phase 1 of the project, which was the acquisition of the house and property where Dixie Cornell Gebhardt, the designer of the Iowa state flag, lived. The total cost of the project will be $4 million.
The mission of the Knoxville Public Library is:
- To provide multiple resources for recreation and lifelong learning
- To foster a learning environment for children, teens and adults
- To provide access to technology to residents of Knoxville and rural Marion County
Access the catalog database on our website.